THA owns and rents a total of 744 efficiency, one, two, three, four, and five bedroom units located in nine complexes. Opportunities include housing for seniors, families with children, couples, and single adults.
Rents range from $50 to $400+ depending on family income. Tenants pay 30% of their income for rent and utilities. For example, the rent and utility payments for a family with an income of $1,000 a month is about $300. The rent and utility payments for a family with an income of $500 a month is about $150. The exact amount depends on family income and the type and cost of utilities.
- To learn more about individual sites, click on a property here.
- Learn about Section 8 that involves renting from a participating private sector landlord here.
- Find answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the THA Housing program here.
How do I apply?
- Drop by THA's main office at 2010 SE California Ave. to complete and turn in a one-page pre-application. This takes about five minutes. If you choose, you may ask for a mailed pre-application to complete and return to THA.
Later, you will need to fill out a more complete application that meets federal requirements. To do this, you will need to:
- Attend an interview meeting all other adults in your household (because all adults in the household must sign the application)
and bring these items:
- Picture ID for all adults
- Social Security cards for all members of the family
- Birth certificates for all children under 18
- Proof of custody of children if applicant is not the parent or if custody is shared
- Income verification from all sources of income
- Recent bank statements
- Details for five years of rental history (names of landlords, addresses, phone numbers)
Through the joint efforts of THA staff and the Topeka Police Department (TPD) there has been a dramatic decline in criminal activity at THA sites in the past 10 years. They are now among the safest neighborhoods in Topeka. This is the result of careful screening, increased resident involvement in safety and security activities, a policy of zero tolerance for criminal activity, and every day communication between THA staff, TPD officers and residents of THA's nine complexes.
The Topeka Police Department has made it easy to sign up for crime alerts and check on criminal activity in the City. Just go to www.raidsonline.com.
The Bar and Ban List is a list of people that THA has identified as people that they do not want on its property.