Section 8 Housing Program

Program Overview

houseThe Section 8 program helps low and moderate income families rent an apartment or house from a private sector landlord.  There are approximately 450 landlords participating in the program. 

Program participants pay 30 to 40 percent of their income for rent and utilities. For example, if your monthly income is $1,000 then you will pay around $300 to $400 a month for rent and utilities. If your monthly income is $500, then you will pay around $150 to $200. The exact amount depends on your income, the rent for the unit + the cost of utilities.

THA owns and manages 744 units located in nine different complexes. Learn more the THA Housing program here.

Find answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Section 8 program here.

Landlord Information

leaseMore information about enrolling as a Section 8 landlord can be found here.

Landlords receive two checks, one from THA and the other from their Section 8 tenant.

The Section 8 program uses two contracts. THA signs a contract with the landlord that sets out the obligations of THA and the landlord. The tenant is not a party to this agreement. Then, the landlord and the Section 8 program participant sign a lease that sets out the obligations of the landlord and tenant. THA is not a part to this agreement.

Landlords participating in the Section 8 program are responsible for screening and selecting tenants and for enforcing the lease.

How do I apply?

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is now open and accepting new pre-applications for rental assistance.

  • interviewPre-applications will be accepted by mail, fax (785-357-2648), email or in person at Topeka Housing Authority, 2010 SE California Ave., Topeka, KS  66607.  Office hours are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.  To request a mailed or emailed pre-application call 785-357-8842 Ext 106 or email Teresa at
  • You may also download and print the pre-application and mail, fax, email or bring in person to the Topeka Housing Authority.  Pre-Application-01-13-17.pdf

Later you will need to fill out a more complete application that meets federal requirements.  To do this, you will need to:

  • Attend an interview meeting all other adults in your household (because all adults in the household must sign the application)

and bring these items:

  • Picture ID for all adults
  • Social Security cards for all members of the family
  • Birth certificates for all children under 18
  • Proof of custody of children if applicant is not the parent or if custody is shared
  • Income verification from all sources of income
  • Recent bank statements

Helpful Forms for the Section 8 Program

Reporting a Change in Income or Household Members

If you have a Section 8 voucher or are currently receiving Section 8 housing assistance from Topeka Housing Authority:

•    Any change in Income or Household Members must be reported in writing within 30 days of the change.*  Changes may be reported by mail, fax, in person or in an email attachment.  If you report by email please include "Section 8 Change" in the subject line.  Changes reported by phone will not be accepted.  (Download these instructions in pdf format here.)

When you report a change of income or household members, all documents related to the change must be signed and submitted.  

  1. Coversheet - Change in Income or Household Members (no signature required)
  2. Tenant Declaration (signed by all adults in the household)
  3. Applicant/Tenant Certification (signed by all adults in the household)
  4. Authorization to Release Information (submit a separate form for each adult)
  5. Documents Related to the Reported Change (see Coversheet for specifics)

Incomplete returns will not be accepted.   The material you submit must be complete and all related documents must be signed and submitted before your change takes effect.  If the change is a decrease of income, it must be submitted by the 25th of the month to be effective for the following month.

Reporting a change may require an appointment before the change becomes effective.


*You do not need to report changes in income and household members if you are on the waiting list, and have not yet received a Section 8 voucher or not currently receiving housing assistance from Topeka Housing Authority.  Persons on the waiting list must provide information about any change of address.